Sunday, March 28, 2010

Great Person


The questions associated with the problem of existence such as, “who am I” also relate to the concept of the Great Person. In part three of C&P Porfiry stated Raskolnikov’s view of the Great Person by establishing the difference between an extraordinary man and an ordinary man, “extraordinary men have a right to commit any crime and to transgress the law in any way, just because they are extraordinary” (241). After reading this I thought of the concept of the Great Man and I began to wonder, what makes one person remarkable and another person average? How does one become a ‘great person?’ These questions also relate the feelings we are currently going through. In high school I feel there is a constant power struggle to be the best, whether this means being the most popular or getting into the best school, we can all relate to this topic of the Great Person. However, Raskolnikov’s extraordinary man justification stuck out to me as being morally unjust. Although I know this justification is mearly fiction, it is still a border that was established to break people up into different classifications.

No comments:

Post a Comment