Sunday, March 7, 2010

Existence Precedes Essence


This week in class we discussed the five themes of existentialism and how they relate to our existential books. While I was writing my reflection, the theme of "existence precedes essence" stuck out to me. I began to question myself and relate my own life to this existential theme. Am I really who I am as a result of my choices? This is an important question and I agree with it, to a certain extent. For instance, I believe your personality shines through as a result of your choices, hence your choices define who you are to the outside world. However, I also believe that we are who we are because of our upbringing and the people we surround ourself with.
Another interesting point this theme brings up is "you are what you make yourself to be." I strongly agree with this phrase and I believe it plays well into everyone's life. To take this case in point, Mersault in "The Stranger" did not make anything of his life, therefore to him life was somewhat meaningless and he did not even care when he died, for he realized it is the same as dying years later. "You are what you make yourself to be" is an important quote for next year because for the most part we are all starting over, making new friends and living in a new place, thus to enjoy your time to its fullest potential, you have to act yourself, and make yourself be who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment